Counseling Services Provided by Dr. Berry-Mitchell
Individual Therapy provides an opportunity for you to meet one-on-one with Dr. Berry-Mitchell to reduce your posttrauma and PTSD symptoms. She conducts therapy in person in her Atlanta office and via telemental health. In order to engage in therapy with Dr. Berry-Mitchell via telemental health, you must reside in Georgia or outside the United States. As she is solely licensed in Georgia, Dr. Berry-Mitchell is restricted from offering services outside of this state.
Dr. Berry-Mitchell only uses treatments that have significant research supporting their effectiveness. While working in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Dr. Berry-Mitchell received certification in 2 of the 3 treatments deemed “best practices” by the Department of Veterans Affairs, the National Center for PTSD, and the National Institute of Mental Health, as well as other agencies and organizations. She is Certified in Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) and Prolonged Exposure (PE). Dr. Berry-Mitchell served as a National Consultant for PE while at the VA, which enabled her to help providers learning this therapy do so correctly, adhere to the fidelity of the treatment.
She specializes in treating the following problems, utilizing the therapies indicated:
- Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse (physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual abuse)
- Anxiety Disorders
- Boundary Setting
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Coping Skills
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Skills Training
- Posttrauma symptoms
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy
- Sexual Assault/abuse
- Transition to Civilian LifeTrauma
- Trauma, clinical; All types
- Wholistic Treatment
Couples Therapy enables intimate partners to address issues in their relationship in a neutral environment in order to address challenges they are facing. It also provides a place for significant others to explore concerns regarding their partner’s mental health issues and learn how they can support their partner properly through the therapeutic process. Dr. Berry-Mitchell specializes in treating couples where one, or both partners have a history of trauma exposure and/or PTSD. Oftentimes, couples fight each other, rather than understanding and reducing the unresolved issue causing the conflicts in their relationships (trauma, past abuse, substance abuse, poor coping, family history, etc.). By engaging in therapy together, the couple can learn how to support each other and provide the stability needed to create an environment in which their relationship can flourish.
Dr. Berry-Mitchell uses Gottman Therapy, the method that has the most research to support its effectiveness in helping ALL couples heal their relationships while learning skills to implement now, and in the future. The focus of therapy is improving the communication, managing conflict, friendship, intimacy, helping the couple create shared meaning in their lives together, and assisting them in making their life’s dreams come true. In order for this to happen, trust and commitment must be an integral part of the relationship.
Please note, all couples therapy patients must be willing to be videotaped. It is useful in the therapy process to be able to playback the partners’ interactions with each other and work in the moment to improve communication. It is also helpful to show the partners their nonverbal reactions that may be interfering with them achieving the relationship they desire. These videos may also be used in consultation to help Dr. Berry-Mitchell improve her couples therapy skills. She is a Level III Gottman trained therapist and is currently receiving consultation in order to become a Certified Gottman Therapist.
WOC and Corporate Trauma Groups
The Corporate Trauma Support Groups are for Women of Color who have experienced emotional and mental injury or trauma as a result of their workplace engagement. This group provides a safe place for Women of Color to share their experiences, support each other, as well as learn how not to internalize the messages they receive from peers and upper management regarding their value in the workplace.
Group Details & Specifics
– Each group meets biweekly.
– 3-month minimum commitment.
– The group size will not exceed 6 women.
Group therapy is a commitment to your well-being, as well as to the other group members. Therefore, regular attendance is required. This helps the group bond and trust one another when members know they can count on each other to be present and support one another.
This group is for you if you:
- Find yourself second-guessing your worth due to the culture of your work environment
- Spend time wordsmithing your feedback or suggestions in order to be heard
- Internalize the feedback, or lack of support, you receive as an indication of your worth
- Spend time second-guessing what you could have done differently (to be accepted, be heard, be valued, etc.)
- Wonder if your hairstyle or attire will adversely affect being valued, considered for promotion, etc.
- Tired of having to be effusively grateful for what you’ve earned
- Find yourself engaging in “retail therapy”, vacation therapy, emotional eating, sex, etc. to cope with the work stress only to find the issues are still there when your momentary satisfaction ends
- Need a safe place to be you and receive support from other women like you
- Wednesday Lunch Break (Telehealth/In person; 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.)
- Wednesday Wind Down (In person; 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.)
- Wednesday Groups begin 4/22/20 and will meet biweekly.
- Friday Lunch Break (Telehealth/In-person; 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.)
- Friday Happy Hour (In person; 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.)
- Friday Groups begin 4/24/20 and will meet biweekly
$125: Assessment and screening scheduled individually with Dr. Berry-Mitchell
$85: Cost of each group
The group will meet for 6 sessions and end the first week of July 2020.
$433.50: 15% ($76.50) discount for full prepayment of the investment.
$85: No show/cancellation fee for not providing 24- hour notice of absence from group.
Group Participation Requirements
An in-person group screening is REQUIRED to determine eligibility for groups. You will NOT be allowed to attend a group if you have not met with the facilitator. Screenings available now.
Please call or text 678-882-5371 to schedule your screening or to learn more about these groups.
All groups will be located in
Brookwood beginning April 2020.